Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Don't Try to Catch a Falling Knife


Well, my first two days have gone off without a hitch. The class is made up of 19 students. I think I may be the old lady of the group. There may be one other contender for "mature" student status. About half of the class seems to have just graduated from highschool. I feel a bit like a spy sitting amongst them. I'm trying to keep my age and my former life as secret as possible. But, anyone who knows me knows that secrets are not my forte.

So far, we have learned about the fathers of French Cooking, Careme and Escoffier, we went over the brigade system and we have talked extensively about knife safety. There were two excellent, circa 1970, videos on knife care and usage. Keep your hands away from the sharp side and DON'T try to catch a falling knife!

Tomorrow we will wear our school uniforms and we will start cooking. Apparently rice pilaf is on the menu.

2 comments:

Ann Tk said...

Hi Sarah,
Thinking of dropping knives, I always jump to keep my toes out of the way of being severed....or at least cut. These could be exposed toes or toes in shoes! My guess is no exposed toes in the kitchen at the school.

About being a "mature" student.....I went back to school when I was 40 to get my teaching degree. I can totally relate...although you are no where near 40.

PS If you ever need to try a recipe on people and your family is tired of it, come over here!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeehee...she is up, up and away! Sounds like a fun beginning. I have been checking your blog daily to see another post!

Hey, Ann Tk, are you trying to get a free chef or something?! Ha ha.