Saturday, August 9, 2008

It's Like Wearing a Costume . . . EVERYDAY.


I love my cook's uniform. The uniform is based on illustrations by Marie Antoine (Antonin) Careme, the first great codifier of French cooking. It consists of a necktie, a double breasted chef's jacket, black and white houndstooth pants, an apron, and a toque. We each have two towels, which are exchanged everyday at 12:30. As well there is a half uniform exchange on Wednesday and a full exchange on Friday.

We must always wear our uniform when we are in class and our uniform must look crisp and well put together. If anyone in the class looks sloppy, the Chef has no problem pointing it out very publicly. I hope I never make it on his radar.

This is the same uniform cooks have been wearing for about 200 years. I love it.

No comments: