Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More Butter Please



Holy smokes! French food has a lot of butter in it. I knew this in theory, but right now I am learning it in principle. Everything we make in class is loaded with one of two magic ingredients: BUTTER and CREAM. I'm starting to feel like I'm made of lard and we don't even eat the food we make. Well. . . we do take little samples. Sometimes more than one. Yesterday we made duxelles: sauteed mushrooms in a white wine reduction, finished with cream. It tasted awesome. We're going to use it to stuff chicken breasts later in the week.

Today we're trussing chickens and then taking them apart. I think there may be some more war wounds in class. Not me . . . touch wood.

I think I might become a weekend vegan to counter all of the in-class cooking excess. . . hmmm.

No comments: