Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Line! The Line! The Line is on Fire . . .

" Zach, stop distracting me from my work!"


Block 5 has begun. . . and so have the goodtimes! In this block, the class is responsible for putting out the daily cafeteria line dinner. We have to produce four meat entrees, four fish entrees, five side dishes, a pasta and vegetarian entree, and three soups. There is no time for wandering around the class, gratuitous trips to the dishroom, or general mischievousness. All things considered, the first night went off without a hitch (translation: No juicy blog material was created; therefore, the blog title is more exciting than the blog itself). Our new Chef, Dave Ryan, has a manic energy that seems to keep the class under control. It feels like he is using his ADD as a weapon for good instead of evil. Also, we are being led by Instructional Assistant, Ysabel. She is a real tough cookie.

I was responsible for the roast on Monday night. There wasn't a lot to it, but somehow, I got myself in a state. Anyhoo, the yorkshire puddings were only slightly burnt and the boneless lamb legs were cooked perfectly medium. Thank goodness for thermometers. As the cooker of the roast, it was my responsibility to carve it on the line. The carving station is about three inches higher than the counter and the roast on top of that adds about another five inches of height. So for those who didn't already know that I am only five feet tall, I was faced with a bit of an accessibility challenge. I was able to carve the roast, but the tendinitis in my left shoulder flared up something fierce. Thank-goodness I was distracted by the crazy people on the customers' side getting into a crazy fight. I'm not completely sure what the altercation was over, but it was definitely something small like person A touched person B's tray. Anyway there were no fisticuffs but words were exchanged. The best line I heard clearly was "Leave me alone you crazy old bag!" This was followed by a lot of intensely crazy, hateful stares. The best part was that the "crazy old bag" sort of had a beehive hairdo. If not for the hair, no one would have been the wiser to her altered state of craziness.

"Does this hairdo make me look crazeeee?"



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am imagining you somewhere hidden behind the roast and only a knife and fork being visible. The customer never sees you. Sort of like being invisible, which is what I would choose to be able to do over, say... flying.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
The nice thing about that hat is that it adds at least 6" to your height so you are that much more visible. :o}