Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Magic on Bowen Island


Coconut Swirly Buns and Poppyseed Swirly Buns
It has been an eventful Easter holiday.  I made poppyseed swirly buns, coconut swirly buns, citrus and sour cherry honey buns with marzipan centres, and hot cross buns.  I use my dear Grand-dad's recipe for hot cross buns with a few changes: I use my home made citrus peel and I sometimes add apricots and sour cherries to the mix.

Daffodils from my garden.

In between all the bread proofing, I took some time to weed in my garden.  There were random daffodils all over the lawn and throughout the garden beds.  I managed to put together a pretty decent bouquet without having to pick every flower in  the garden.


On Saturday, a friend and I took a day trip to Bowen Island.  On our hike around Killarney Lake, we almost stepped on this little creature.  This is a rough-skinned newt.  I didn't know that until I got home and looked it up so I called it a Magic Salamander (Mag for short).  We moved Mag off the middle of the path and carried on our way.  



Mag the Magic Salamander
Here is my Grand-Dad's recipe for Hot Cross Buns
(I use a stand mixer but this could easily be mixed by hand)

A:
1 large russet potato

B:
4 cups flour (+ 1 1/2 cups extra)
2 Tablespoons regular yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon allspice
1 cup raisins (I use a mix of currants, sultanas, and golden)
1/2 cup mixed peel

C:
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter

D:
2 large eggs

For the crosses
Mix 3 tablespoons flour with 1 tablespoon water to form a gooey paste.  put in a piping bag with a small round tip.

Citrus Glaze
I like to glaze my buns when they come out of the oven.  I zest a lemon or orange (sometimes both), add the juice of one lemon and enough icing sugar (2 cups) to make a thick glaze.

A:  Peel and boil potato.  Put through a ricer or grate on large holes of a box grater.  Set aside 3/4 of a cup

B:  Mix dry ingredients in bowl of a stand mixer with dough hook attachment.  Add 3/4 cup riced potato, mix.

C: Scald wet ingredients.  Let cool to lukewarm.  Add to dry ingredients with stand mixer running

D: Slightly beat eggs, add to stand mixer

This is a wet dough.  Turn it out and knead it.  Try to add as little extra flour as possible.  Form a ball.  Place in a lightly oiled bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap or a tea towel.  Allow to rise until dough has doubled.

Turn oven on to preheat at 325 degrees.  Put rack in second highest position.

Punch down.  Portion into about 24 rolls.  I like 60 gram rolls.  Place rolls in a rectangular baking tray.  Let them rise to double in size.  Pipe crosses on.  Bake for 25 minutes.  I rotate my pans at 15 minutes and bake for 10 more.

Once the buns come out of the oven, I spread the glaze over them.  I let them cool fully before eating.

Hot Cross Buns - Oh so good.


1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.