Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back to School!

This egg is your baby.


It's official. I am back to school in September, but not as a student this time. Back in June, I accepted a job at Vancouver Technical School's Spectrum Alternative Program. My new course load will consist of Senior Foods, Textiles, Grad Transitions, and Human Services 11.

The foods block is not your typical home-ec. class. Rather, the class and I will be making the daily hot lunch for 50 to 60 staff and students. So, in a way, I will be a bit of a student for a year. I've been a camp cook and I used to make lunch for 100 at a weekend fine-arts program, but a year of lunches will be an exciting challenge. That, paired with the job of instructing and grading 15 to 20 students who may, or may not be interested, in cooking should be an adventure. I feel that my year of study is already helping me organize my mental lesson plans. Now I have to put them down on paper and make my recipes user friendly for teenagers. EGAD!!!

Also, I need to develop a year's worth of sewing/felting/knitting/textile projects. This is something I am very excited about. I love making and I sure hope my students do to.

Possibly the most challenging part of my new course load will be the Human Services class. From what I understand, this class is a combination of sex ed., financial planning, drug awareness, and "how to be a grown up" lessons. Considering my state of quasi-arrested development, I'm not sure I'm the best role model but, I am up to the task. Apparently, I get to do the "this egg is your baby" lesson plan. I can't wait.

3 comments:

Fiona said...

Wow Sarah, what a great blog. Thanks for sharing!

Laura and Ryan said...

I just found your blog. The new job sounds crazy and great! I can just imagine you teaching teens.

jlew said...

Sarah! I remember the days in the camp kitchen. Just make sure they don't have a sour cream fight! Or make sure they do. Wait, I can't remember what's the right thing to do.